Cruzamentos

quinta-feira, março 01, 2007

"I have no fear of changes... of destroying the image"


Pollock (1912-1956) a trabalhar, em 1950. Trata-se de um excerto (a correr em "loop" e com o som acrescentado "a posteriori") do filme de Hans Namuth (1915-1990), também responsável pelas mais famosas e influentes fotografias do pintor norte-americano - em acção


"I enjoy working on a large canvas. I feel more at home, more at ease, in a big area.

Having the canvas on the floor I feel nearer, more a part of the painting. This way I can walk around it, work from all four sides and be in the painting, similar to the Indian sand painters of the West.

Sometimes I use a brush but often prefer using a stick. Sometimes I pour the paint straight out of the can. I like to use a dripping fluid paint. I also use sand, broken glass, pebbles, string, nails, or other foreign matter.

A method of painting is a natural growth out of a need. I want to express my feelings rather than illustrate them.

Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement. When I am painting I have a general notion as to what I am about. I can control the flow of the paint.

There is no accident, just as there is no beginning and no end. Sometimes I lose a painting, but I have no fear of changes... of destroying the image. Because a painting has a life of its own, I try to let it live" (Jackson Pollock, na banda sonora do filme de Namuth).


A fita de Namuth, rodada no Verão e no Outono de 1950, seria terminada em 1951, com a montagem de um herói do cinema alemão (montou o M (1930) de Fritz Lang, tendo colaborado no Tagebuch einer Verlorenen (1929), de Pabst, e no Vampyr (1932), de Dreyer), Paul Falkenberg (1903-1986), e com música de Morton Feldman (1926-1987) - porque Pollock achou a escolha de música indonésia, por Falkenberg, "exótica", concluindo "I'm an American painter!". O "YouTube" tem um muito melhor e mais longo exemplo de Pollock em acção do que aquele que aparece neste post: não deixem de ver.

O comentário "off" de Pollock, narrador do seu próprio trabalho, consiste numa "colagem" de afirmações do pintor aos media, como se poderá confirmar nas pp. 15-23 do volume Jackson Pollock - Interviews, Articles, and Reviews, New York, MoMA, s.d [1998], disponível no CD (biblioteca) do Ar.Co.

Etiquetas: , , , , , , ,


Powered by Blogger